Saturday, December 16, 2023

160) Carlsbad Caverns National Park

Visited: Saturday, December 16, 2023.

Oh, my my...

1) I never heard about the drive to Carlsbad Caverns.  Not one thing.  But it is _gorgeous_.  I'm not a big "pretty drive" person - I had all of two drives I've found so enjoyable I wanted to drive them again.  (H3 in Hawaii and Bear Tooth Pass in Montana.)  Well, now I have #3.  

2) We only took the self-guided tour, because Megan's ankle is bothering her, and our timing wasn't right for seeing the bats.  But it is phenomenal.  I'm not a huge cave person, but I have visited a few - and this is miles above.

3) We went early, and - I cannot recommend going early strongly enough.  It nearly felt like we had the place to ourselves, which is a great way to see the caverns.  By the time we left, things were significantly busier - if not bad at all for a pretty December Saturday.

4) Once again, our trip concluded with the desire to go back again.  There were multiple possibilities we ruled out because of Megan's ankle, and - I enjoyed the experience enough that coming back sounds like a fine idea.  It's one of the challenges of visiting the NPS sites - many of them are so enjoyable that we want to come back, but going back is time spent not going to sites we haven't been to.  So we try to be conservative with going back places.  But Carlsbad Caverns is undoubtedly worth another visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment